Backpacks are available in all sizes, colors, fabrics and shapes and help children express their own sense of style.And when they are used correctly, they are incredibly practical.
But backpacks can tire muscles and joints and can cause back pain if they are too heavy or badly used.
What should I look for in a backpack?
Follow these tips to choose the right backpack:
Get a light bag:Find one that does not add much weight at the expense of your child. For example, leather bags weigh more than canvas backpacks. He must arrange:
- Two wide and padded straps: themtoo narrow suspenders can sink into the shoulders.
- A padded back:It offers not only increased comfort, but also protects children from blows by objects or pointed edges (pencils, rules, notebooks, etc.) inside the bag.
- a belt :This makes it possible to distribute the weight more uniformly over the whole body.
- Several compartments:These help distribute the weight throughout the bag.
Roll bags, which look like small suspended luggage bags, can be good options for students who have to transport very heavy loads. But they are very difficult to climb the stairs and roll in the snow. Ask the school before buying a rolling bag. Many do not authorize them because they can constitute a risk of tripping in the corridors.
What can children do?
To help children prevent injury when they use a backpack, they must:
Lighten the load:
- No matter how well the backpack is well designed, less weight is always better. Use the person to check that a bag does not exceed 10 to 20 % of your child's body weight. For example, a child who weighs 36 kilos should not carry a backpack weighing more than 4 to 7 kilos.
- Encourage children to use their locker or office often throughout the day instead of transporting books all day in the backpack.
- Make sure children do not transport unnecessary items that can add too much pounds in a bag.
- Encourage children to bring home only the books necessary for homework or to study each evening.
- Use all the compartments of the backpack, placing heavier objects, such as manuals, as close as possible to the center of the back.
Use and collect the backpack correctly:
- Make sure children use both suspenders. Bags that are hanging on the shoulder or on the chest - or have only one strap - are not as effective to distribute the weight as the bags with two large straps and can tire the muscles.
- Tighten the straps enough for the backpack to perfectly match the body. The bag must rest even in the middle of the back and not sag to the buttocks.
- Taking the backpack in the right way can help children avoid back injury. As with any heavy goods vehicle, they must fold their knees and grab the backpack with two hands when they lift a backpack to the shoulders.
What can parents do?
Involving other parents and your child's school in resolving the burials of students' backpacks could help reduce children's charges. Here are some ways that the school can get involved:
- give students more time between lessons to use lockers
- use pocket books
- Add school education programs to the safe use of the backpack
- Put an online program when possible
You may need to adjust your children's backpacks and/or reduce the quantity they carry if they:
- have trouble putting or removing the backpack
- having back pains
- Lean forward to wear the backpack
If your child has back pain or numbness or weakness in the arms or legs, talk to the doctor.
Our selection of children's bags and school bags
The football backpack offers you aspacious spacewith pockets for your phone, laptop, tablet andAll businessFor a school day.With his two sizes, the little one that makes28 x 20 x 41 cmand the big one who has dimensions33 x 22 x 46 cm.
Boy teenage bag
Its nylon coating provides him for good resistance to wear and the vagaries of the playground. Thisbackpackcan also be used for school use from CM1. To spoil nothing, it is offered at a very good value for money.
Primary girl backpack
Ergonomic and solid because of its polyester design, this backpack for children is ideally designed for school use. In addition, it offers aExcellent value !
This Backpack is equipped with an immense and zipped main compartment, ideal for storing notebooks, books and school binders. Inside you will find flat pockets as well as a zipped pocket for a perfect organization.